1. What biblical movies have you seen? Will you watch the upcoming releases mentioned by Aaron Epp? Do you think Hollywood movies are an effective way to learn stories from the Bible? How do these movies influence our understanding of the Bible?
2. Do you agree with Carol Penner that there has been a general decline in biblical knowledge in our lifetime? How do you explain this decline among people who were raised in the church? How much of it is due to changes in our Sunday school curriculum? Why are we not as enthusiastic to know the Bible as our grandparents were?
3. What hinders us from reading the Bible? How guilty should we feel if we don’t read the Bible regularly? Are we in danger of losing contact with our sacred text? What are the long-term implications of biblical illiteracy?
4. Don Penner says that he sees the Bible not so much as a book of answers as he does a collection of God-with-us stories. Do you agree? What are the implications of these two ways of viewing the Bible?
5. What resources or activities have you found helpful in increasing your knowledge of the Bible? How can we best encourage each other to know the Bible better?
--Posted Feb. 12, 2014