Over the past 50 years, the Institute for Mennonite Studies at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, Ind., has published a series of books making primary works of the Radical Reformation available in English.
Herald Press published the first nine volumes between 1973 and 1999, including translations of writings by Anabaptists such as Conrad Grebel, Michael Sattler, Pilgram Marpeck, Balthasar Hubmaier, Dirk Philips and others.
Between 2001 and 2017, Pandora Press published more volumes in the series, providing English-speaking scholars with access to 16th-century writers.
Because many of the volumes are no longer in print, the entire series of 13 volumes has recently been republished by Plough, the publishing house of the Bruderhof (bit.ly/rad-ref-classics). The prefaces of the early volumes have been updated. The series titles include:
- The Legacy of Michael Sattler. John H. Yoder, trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by C. Arnold Snyder.
- The Writings of Pilgram Marpeck. William Klassen and Walter Klaassen, trans., eds. The 2019 edition has a new preface by John D. Rempel.
- Anabaptism in Outline: Selected Primary Sources. Walter Klaassen trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by John D. Roth.
- The Sources of Swiss Anabaptism: The Grebel Letters and Related Documents. Leland Harder trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by Andrea Strübind.
- Balthasar Hubmaier: Theologian of Anabaptism. H. Wayne Pipkin and John H. Yoder, trans., eds. The 2019 edition has a new preface by Brian Brewer.
- The Writings of Dirk Philips, 1504-1568. Cornelius J. Dyck, William E. Keeney and Alvin J. Beachy, trans., eds. The 2019 edition has a new preface by Piet Visser.
- The Anabaptist Writings of David Joris. Gary K. Waite, trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by the editor.
- The Essential Carlstadt. E. J. Furcha, trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by Amy Nelson Burnett.
- Peter Riedemann’s Hutterite Confession of Faith. John J. Friesen, trans., ed. The 2019 edition has a new preface by the editor.
- Sources of South German/Austrian Anabaptism. C. Arnold Snyder, ed.
- Confessions of Faith in the Anabaptist Tradition, 1527-1660. Karl Koop, ed.
- Jörg Maler’s Kunstbuch: Writings of the Pilgram Marpeck Circle. John D. Rempel, ed.
- Later Writings of the Swiss Anabaptists, 1529-1592. C. Arnold Snyder, ed.
—With files from Christina Entz Moss.
Further reading from our Spring 2020 Focus on Books & Resources:
A story that ‘wanted to be told’
Updated history of ‘Mennonites in Canada’ commissioned
Intriguing novel explores family trauma
Spring 2020 List of Books & Resources