On the heels of the Second World War, the General Conference Mennonite Church and the Mennonite Church were concerned about scouting programs that promoted patriotism to boys and girls. In 1957, the Wayfarers girls club was begun and in 1958, Mennonite Publishing House published a Torchbearers guide book and manual for boys. Individual congregations were encouraged to start local clubs that focused on “brotherhood, cooperation, mutual helping and loyalty to the kingdom of God.” A yellow pennant was given to each boy, who was then encouraged to earn felt badges and medals upon completion of specific skills. Pictured in 1966, boys at Sargent Avenue Mennonite Church in Winnipeg receive their pendants. Can anyone identify the people?
For more historical photos in the Mennonite Archival Image Database, see archives.mhsc.ca.
—Corrected Sept. 22, 2021