Headed to Abbotsford, B.C. for Mennonite Church Canada's Gathering 2019, happening June 28 to July 1? Here are some things to do and see while you're in the city.
Metzger Collection, Columbia Bible College
This collection of museum-quality artifacts includes 1,200 replicas of significant archeological artifacts and works of art, such as the Rosetta Stone and the Gutenberg Bible, and encompasses biblical history and other ancient civilizations. Located in the Columbia Resource Centre, 2940 Clearbrook Road, Abbotsford. For more information, visit metzgercollection.org.
Mennonite Heritage Museum
Opened in 2016, this museum tells the Mennonite story from the beginnings of Anabaptism to Mennonites today in Canada and B.C. The building also houses Mennonite Historical Society offices, where patrons can research their family history. Located at 1818 Clearbrook Road, Abbotsford. For more information, visit
MCC thrift shops
- MCC Centre Thrift, 33933 Gladys Avenue, Abbotsford. The building houses the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) B.C. headquarters, a Ten Thousand Villages shop, MCC quilters, Common Place Café and thrift shop. For more information, visit mcccentre.ca/mcc-thrift/.
- MCC Clothing Etc., 31872 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford. For more information, visit thrift.mcc.org/abbotsford-mcc-clothing-etc/.
- Marketplace by MCC Community Enterprises, 34377 Marshall Road, Abbotsford. Not a traditional second-hand shop; includes a mixture of unique new, used, handcrafted and upcycled goods. For more information, visit mccce.ca/our-enterprises/marketplace/.
Places to eat with Mennonite connections
- Common Place Café, 33933 Gladys Ave., Abbotsford. Features quality home-cooked breakfasts and lunches. For more information, visit mcccentre.ca/common-place-cafe/.
- Garden Park Tower Rose Room Coffee Shop, 2825 Clearbrook Road, Abbotsford. Serves fresh baked goods and homemade soups. For more information, visit gardenparktower.ca/rose-room-coffee-shop.
- Marketplace by MCC CE, 34377 Marshall Road, Abbotsford. Serves light homemade meals and pastries. For more information, visit mccce.ca/our-enterprises/marketplace/.
- Yellow Barn Country Market, 39809 No. 3 Road, rural Abbotsford. Sells fresh produce from local farmers and has a deli and café featuring fresh baking, burgers, soups and sandwiches. Operated by MCC Community Enterprises. For more information, visit mccce.ca/our-enterprises/yellow-barn-country-market/.
Read Amy Dueckman's accompanying feature, Raspberry capital beckons Gathering 2019.