The Ontario Mennonite businessman Jacob Y. Shantz established rough housing for newcomers and promoted immigration to a place he called Didsbury, N.W.T., in 1893. In the following two years, Mennonites from Ontario and Manitoba arrived to what became known as Didsbury, Alta. The Bergthal Church was established there in 1903 and became part of the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1910. The church building was moved in 1918, had a basement added in 1929, and was enlarged to house Menno Bible Institute in 1934 and 1936. A new building (pictured) was built and dedicated on Dec. 19, 1948.
For more historical photos in the Mennonite Archival Image Database, see archives.mhsc.ca.