In the last season of my life have been engaged in learning how to love and honour my Aboriginal neighbours. I have been journeying with some friends and as a group we have longed to love honour residential school survivors, and we are doing so with an event we are calling an Honour Walk.
As a group of Christians, we have decided to commission a handful of walkers to journey on foot 550 km from Stoney Knoll, Saskatchewan to Edmonton, Alberta to attend the final Truth and Reconciliation Commission event on March 27-30th in Edmonton. Also commissioned is a parallel group who will fast, pray and host awareness conversations in Winnipeg at Canadian Mennonite University. We acknowledge the support of MCC, MCCanada, and the Christian Student Movement for their support. As well we recognize the Truth and Reconcilation Comission for honouring our efforts with a place in the TRC final ceremonies in Edmonton
Why do this?
Having learned of the 150,000 Indigenous children who were separated from their communities and forced to attend Indian residential schools, the many children who ran away from those schools, but never made it home, survivors who have courageously spoken their truths and continue to do so, and indigenous groups who have walked incredible distances for their communities and to bring awareness to current injustices, we long to honour them by symolically walking with them.
We are still looking for support in several ways. See the websight for more details on each. Link: http://www.honourwalk.ca/#!joinhelp/crju
1. Hospitality - we need over night places to stay along the way. See the websight for an interactive map of the route. LinK: http://www.honourwalk.ca/#!walk-map/c1enr
2. Transport Vehicle - Our group is currently looking to borrow a 7/8 passenger van from March 6 - April 1st to save on costs of renting a vehicle. This vehicle will be used to transport supplies and provide safety.
3. Fast and Pray - Join the Winnipeg support team, and let us know about it! Organize an individual or group fast or prayer, and attend a week of events at Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg, Manitoba - March 17-21.
4. Join the walkers! - The more the merrier! Contact us soon if you are interested!
5. Donate - help cover travel, food, emergancy, gift and other supplies needed for the Honour Walk. See the link on the websight for easy to-donate steps. Online giving availible, as well as tax receipts.
We pray that, in all things, the Spirit of Truth and Reconciliation would be honoured, and that many will be encouraged by these efforts, however small. Stay tuned for more updates.
For questions and inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Add new comment
Canadian Mennonite invites comments and encourages constructive discussion about our content. Actual full names (first and last) are required. Comments are moderated and may be edited. They will not appear online until approved and will be posted during business hours. Some comments may be reproduced in print.