Canadian Mennonite Publishing Service
The Canadian Mennonite Publishing Service Advertising Representative will manage advertising sales for Canadian Mennonite (CM) media, including the website, the magazine and new media ventures that may arise. This contract position assumes 15 hours of work per week. Compensation is paid as a monthly retainer plus sales commission.
Working with the publisher, the advertising representative will develop and implement sales strategies, including creative approaches to advertising and sponsored content, maintain relationships with existing clients and develop new ones.
The ideal candidate has experience in sales and an understanding of the Mennonite church constituency.
The Advertising Representative reports to the Publisher.
Start date, Hours, Schedule and Location
- is available from July 1, 2021
- assumes 12 hours per week, with flexible work schedule
- can be worked remotely or at the CM office in Waterloo, Ontario.
Scope of Work
Sales strategy and implementation
- Working with the Publisher, develop overall advertising business plan, including:
- Brainstorm ways to generate advertising revenue for CM, in traditional formats or with new initiatives;
- Finetune advertising strategies and implement them;
- Review advertising rates and propose changes, as needed.
- Develop and maintain marketing materials to promote advertising sales, as needed. Design and administrative support is available to help with this process.
- Approach new and existing clients to promote advertising or sponsorship opportunities in CM media.
- Evaluate and report data on past sales to shape future efforts
Develop and maintain client relationships
- Respond to email and phone requests about advertising in CM media;
- Assist smaller advertisers with ad design either directly or by requesting support from the Designer;
- Renew annual contracts with clients;
- Reach out to ensure client satisfaction;
- Maintain advertiser contact and ad history database.
Manage display advertising cycle
- Organize the production of ads from first contact to sale to final publication;
- Schedule and submit ad copy within the CM two-week print publishing cycle;
- Ensure timely arrival of ad copy, including inserts and sponsored content, for contracted dates;
- Work with Designer to ensure artwork meets CM specifications and client needs;
- Review ads for accuracy before they are published;
- Post and monitor ads in digital CM media.
- Connect weekly with Publisher to review ongoing work;
- Participate bi-weekly in editorial meetings to discuss upcoming content and initiatives;
- Collaborate with Designer regarding ad presentation;
- Work with Administrator regarding invoicing.
- Able to understand customer needs and match CM offerings to these;
- Able to articulate the merits of using CM as a vehicle for corporate messaging;
- Aware of changes in the advertising environment, including ideas for creating sponsorship opportunities that leverage the CM audience to possible sponsors;
- Able to self-motivate and work independently;
- Able to relate well with clients;
- Support Canadian Mennonite’s ministry and mission.
Send letter of interest and resume to Tobi Thiessen, Publisher, by June 1, 2021.