Embers from a large stone fireplace found their way under the floor of the Silver Lake Mennonite Camp dining hall. Aided by blustery winds, the hot embers caused a fire which seriously damaged the structure on Monday, February 7.The camp, located near Hepworth, Ontario, is celebrating its 50th year of operation during 2011. In spite of the loss, in a press release, the camp administration found much to be thankful for about the fire:
- Nobody was injured
- There should be adequate time to restore the dining hall prior to the busy summer camping season.
- There is adequate insurance to cover the majority of the replacement costs including business interruption coverage.
- The damage was contained to one building - the fire inspector was amazed that it didn't spread
- The camp has an incredibly supportive community of campers, parents, volunteers and churches.
"We invite readers to hold the camp board and administration in our prayers as they respond to the challenge of this loss; the many decisions needing to be made to have the all important dining hall rebuilt and ready for the summer camping season," says the Max team.
--Feb. 17, 20100
Add new comment
Canadian Mennonite invites comments and encourages constructive discussion about our content. Actual full names (first and last) are required. Comments are moderated and may be edited. They will not appear online until approved and will be posted during business hours. Some comments may be reproduced in print.