1. Does your church give equal status and rights to women and men? How did earlier generations explain their assumption that powerful roles were reserved for men? How much does our culture affect our attitudes when it comes to what is right or wrong in the church?
2. How have you traditionally understood Jesus’ words in Matthew 19:3-22? Norman Kraus argues that the passage has to do with male privilege and about equal dignity and rights. Do you find his argument convincing? What questions arise from his interpretation?
3. Lisa Schirch says that she has learned to read the Bible “alongside its culture and history” (#3). What does she mean by that? Why might this concept be frightening for some of us?
4. Kraus says this biblical passage “indicates Jesus was far more empathetic with the social and religious undesirables. . . than with his religious challengers.” Who are the social and religious undesirables of our day?
5. What advice do you have for Mennonite Church Canada leaders as they work at the Being a Faithful Church process (see story)?
--Posted July 2, 2014