1. What is a story from your life or from the history of your congregation that has had an impact on you? What stories from the past are important to pass on to future generations? What is the best way to share these stories so that they are not forgotten?
2. Susan Schultz Huxman says that foresight is “the ability to see what is coming.” Does your church tend to be proactive in responding to change? What makes congregations fearful about the future? Do Mennonite schools have special skills to help us discern the future?
3. Huxman describes insight as “the power of apprehending the inner nature of things.” Why is insight important for the church? Does insight improve as we age? Do you agree with Huxman that learning to serve others improves our insight?
4. How do you explain the sudden shift of women to roles of leadership in Mennonite schools? Is this part of a larger shift of more women to leadership roles? How do you think the church will be affected by this shift?
5. In the last 50 years, education has been highly valued, and the number and size of institutions of higher learning have increased considerably. Do you think respect for education will continue to grow or has it already begun to wane? What role will Mennonite schools play in the future?